Sunday 10 October 2010

See no Evil, Speak No Evil, Hear No Evil

One of My Pet hates is Blasphemy in Films or on TV, I turn off!. This seems extreme to some Christians but not to me! there are good reasons for this and I will do my best to explain.

It does mean that I cant watch some Really good films but this is what's called Sacrifice!

Blasphemy is the ultimate sin against God. In Matthew 12v31 Jesus Says
"blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven"
For Me if God Abhors blasphemy so much that it is a sin which "will not" be forgiven, how can I then let such a sin into my home?


It took me along time to introduce this as a rule in my home but it was an issue I wrestled with for quite sometime, My Wife was convicted of this way before I was and to be honesty it annoyed me, we couldn't get out some really good films or watch certain TV programs but I stuck with it because spending time with her was more important than the programme! But I Kept asking God why this was so bad and what was so wrong with me watching it because if I switch it off, it will still be there so what good was it doing anyway.
One evening I was reading through my bible when I came across the scripture above whilst making my way through Matthew, and it suddenly made sense!! Why would I allow something that offends God so much into my home?
If one of my children came how one day and started blaspheming how would that make me feel? the thought knocked me for six!

If I tell him that I love him and then allow my favourite TV character to Blaspheme in my home, do I really Love him as much as I claim?
Jesus Said that the greatest Commandment was
"Love the Lord your God with all your Heart and with all your soul and with all your Mind" Matthew 22V37

If I watched things that blasphemed the name of Jesus was I loving him with all I am or was the program / Film more important?

Was I allowing this to enter my mind?

What we watch is a direct reflection of who we are and if, as Christians we allow this sin into our homes and minds,then what does that say about our relationship with God?
Please don't get me wrong I am no better than others!!!! I am not saying this to say "look at me Look how righteous I am" cause the truth is far different! - but I do find myself explaining my stance quite frequently!

The question I frequently ask in reply is If it was the name of Allah or some other god used in vain what would happen?

We know from historic events what happens when Allah's name is take in vain in the media, there is a public outcry, But Jesus is OUR Lord and Our Saviour yet we sit by and do nothing! if we as Christian would stand together and simply say "no - We wont watch this", then film / TV producers would sit up and take notice.




Again I am Not judging Christians who do allow this - This is my stance !! and how I feel about it!


God Bless!

0 comments: