Saturday 6 February 2010

Evan Almighty & Prayer


I Love this Film Its absolutely fantastic.
But there is one part in this film the i love more than any.

When Morgan Freeman appears to Evans Wife Joan

"Let me ask you something. If someone prays for patience, you think God gives them patience? Or does he give them the opportunity to be patient? If he prayed for courage, does God give him courage, or does he give him opportunities to be courageous? If someone prayed for the family to be closer, do you think God zaps them with warm fuzzy feelings, or does he give them opportunities to love each other?

How many of us can relate to this? So often we pray to God with a specific request and we expect everything to work out, but God answers in ways we cannot even begin to understand. often it can seem that our prayers go unheard, but God hears everyone of them no matter how small and will provide the answers when the time is right for HIM!!
How many of us have prayed for patience with our own children or our work colleagues or someone else only to find ourselves being impatient or frustrated on your next meeting. Funny how these situations occur like that and how often!!


When we pray are we praying expecting God to do something or are we expecting God to do something that we want to see done. When we pray for an opportunity to use the gifts given by God are we praying with preconceived ideas of what we want. I know that I have prayed like this and in all likely hood will probably do so again.

When I pray I will pray expecting God to do something, but I will also be asking God to remind me of my prayers, to give me that little nudge in the back to say "Oi you asked"!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes He doesn't always answer our prayers in the way we expect, but it's always the right answer. xxx

bring the rain said...

True wife!